Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 12:00-1:30 pm via Zoom
Moderator: Sue Klein, Co-President Clearinghouse on Women’s Issues and Education Equity Director, Feminist Majority Foundation.
Representatives from the Office of U.S. Senator Mazie K. Hirono (D-HI) and the Office of U.S. Representative Doris Matsui (D-CA) will discuss the reintroduction of the Patsy T. Mink and Louise M. Slaughter Gender Equity in Education Act (GEEA).
Ben Strand, Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. Senator Mazie K. Hirono (D-HI), Laura Forero, Legislative Assistant, U.S. Representative Doris Matsui (D-CA), and others who have been working to update and expand GEEA will discuss reintroduction for the 117th Congress (2021-2022)—which will coincide with Title IX’s 49th Anniversary on June 23, 2021.
They will address the following:
- What is the Gender Equity Education Act (GEEA)?
- What changes have been made to GEEA since the 116th Congress (2019-2020)?
- Who has cosponsored GEEA for the 117th Congress (2021-2022)?
- Why do we need this legislation?
- How can we increase support for the bill?
- What is the path forward on the bill?
At the end of the meeting members of the CLEARINGHOUSE ON WOMEN’S ISSUES (CWI) will be invited to stay a few minutes to elect half the CWI BOARD for 2yr terms July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2023.
The following CWI board members’ terms end in June 30, 2021 but they have agreed to stand for election at the June 22, 2021 CWI meeting.
- Co-Presidents Sue Klein and Connie Cordovilla have agreed to run for reelection and Connie has also agreed to serve as VP membership.
- Anne Martin has agreed to continue as VP Organization Management
- Alotta Taylor, has agreed to continue as VP Diversity. Linda Fihelly has agreed to continue as a Board Member.
Next CWI meeting Sept. 28, 2021